The WASCAL recruitment portal is now open, as this notice is to create awareness among all Ghanaian′s ready to enroll in WASCAL. The portal for the WASCAL enrollment 2023/2024 is now open, the forms are available for pick up and the requirements for this are also highlighted so as to make it stress-free for applicants, this should also be treated with urgency as the closing date is also at the corner.
A very lucrative opportunity has been made available for all Ghanaian′s, the question now is (have you heard about WASCAL) if yes you are at the right blog because it is our reader′s (WASCAL) and they are currently in need for new and active workers, all you need to do is to follow the guidelines and this blog is the right place to direct you to the procedure of your request. WASCAL offers jobs from different angles and all qualified and invited applicants in Ghana can apply for any of the available roles in WASCAL.
Please all applicants should note that the age range for this offer varies from 21 to 35 years and most also have a clean background with no criminal record, also note that all applicants must be Ghanaian citizens by birth with a first degree from an accredited university in a related field with at least a second class lower.
WASCAL Recruitment 2023/2024
1. Job Title: Regional Thematic Coordinator
WASCAL seeks to hire Regional Thematic Coordinator to consolidate its position as a leading Regional Research Partner Institution in West Africa and to expand into new areas of work relevant to climate science, climate services and societal impacts. The Regional Thematic Coordinator will be responsible for WASCAL Priority Research Theme 1 which is Land Use, Land Cover and Land Degradation Nexus. The position will be based at the WASCAL Competence Centre in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The successful candidate and will report to Director of Research at the WASCAL Competence Centre who is the Head of Research and climate service provisions.
WASCAL is a research and education-focused institute designed to provide knowledge and climate services that should help tackle the climate change challenge and thereby enhance the resilience of human and environmental systems. It does so by strengthening the research capacity and infrastructure in West Africa related to climate change by pooling the expertise of eleven (11) West African countries and Germany. The West African countries include: Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d‘Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Togo and Cape Verde.
WASCAL has its Headquarters in Accra, Ghana, the Competence Centre is based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and 12 graduate schools (PhD and MSc. Programs) in 12 lead universities in and across West Africa.
The WASCAL Research Program is aiming to (i) develop qualitative and quantitative tools and models for linking bio-physical and socio-economic processes and feed-backs; (ii) use these models and tools to develop and analyse impact scenarios of climate change including the assessment of alternative land use options as a means to help society cope with the vagaries of climate change, both in climate trends as well as climate variability and extreme events and (iii) facilitate collaboration with research and donor institutions and organizations in West Africa to commonly identify constraints to adaptation and mitigation strategies in land use and how to master these.
The Regional Thematic Coordinator will undertake the following duties among others:
• Project Management and Administration (50%)
• CES Provision (35%)
• Research and Innovation (15%)
Project Management and Administration (50%)
• Wining Proposal development as response to global climate funds
• Program/Project management and grant management
• Supervise and coordinate the provision of support services to project managers and deliver relevant scientific inputs as needed
• Identify national and regional problems in the Land Use land Cover/land degradation nexus to climate change and develop wining proposals to Funding Entities.
• Work through his network to attract National, Regional and International partners to WASCAL.
• Establish documentation for project commitments (i.e. agreements, contracts, etc.)
• Provide active guidance to project coordinators and partner institutions regarding research plans sampling strategies, training, field work programming and measurement methods and other methodologies for reaching expected outcomes
• Monitor and evaluate program/project performance against contract requirements, keep tracks of deliverables, and other performance goals, participate in the analysis and reporting for impact assessment
• Work with consortia leaders, elaborate outlook budgets for the program and proposals to donors and contractors, coordinate and schedule meetings and workshop among team members, and plan and coordinates regular advisory board and steering committee meetings
• Lead the drafting and the submission of grant proposals and coordinate recruitment and manage integration of a new staff members as needed
• Act as the primary administrative point of contact for internal research staff and as the principle operational liaison for other research organizations, funding agencies and regulating bodies
CES Provision (35%)
• Synthetize output from programs and or projects and identify salient results for climate and environmental development
• Lead the development and delivery of climate and environmental information relevant for WASCAL member countries sectors and communities as well as regional political bodies
• Identify, develop and implement ways of improving access to, and use of CES for sectors, communities and regional political bodies
• Develop tools, approaches and products for effective delivery of CES and integration to day-to-day activities with support from the data management department
• Establish training guidelines on technical aspects of CES, organize stakeholder engagement workshops and prepare communication materials for dissemination
• Provide scientific analysis and interpretation to support the timely delivery of the results and output
• Contribute to knowledge products (reports, briefs, data products, scientific publications)
• Carry out research, when relevant (e.g. in the framework of a project), and deliver science that can be used in practice by the West African adaptation community
• Assist with reviews of knowledge products written by other RTCs
• Show scholarly evidence through publication in high impact factor journals.
Qualification Required & Experience
Desired Skills and Experience
• PHD in Meteorology and climate science, remote sensing, Geography, environmental or agriculture science, Forestry.
• At least five years post qualification experience
• Good understanding of the role of geospatial sciences in development at various scale
• Experienced in Modelling and simulations using various model situatable for West Africa
• Demonstrated expertise in developing practical remote sensing applications, decision support tools in agriculture and in the use of High-performance Computer (HPC)
• High Decree of initiative and self-motivation
• Good track record in resource mobilization and research proposal development
• Ability to lead and mentor a group of researchers
• Ability to supervise students’ research
• Experience in developing training materials and organizing/conducting training
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experience in working and interacting effectively with a variety of stakeholders, and demonstrated ability to collaborate well across disciplines and with key collaborative institutions and agencies
• Working knowledge of main remote sensing and GIS tools software
• Research experience in interdisciplinary working environments
• Strong publication and record in peer-reviewed journals
• Fluent in spoken and written English and French
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to generate new ideas and implement them
• Ability to work as part of a dynamic and multicultural team
• Work experience in West-African countries and willingness to travel is of an advantage
How To Apply For The Job
Applications including a covering letter (no more than two pages), statement of motivation highlighting the candidate’s experience against the criteria listed above (desired skills and experience), and a curriculum vitae including a list of publications, with names addresses and e-mail addresses of three referees (2 professionals and 1 academic) should be emailed to:
[email protected]. Please indicate “WASCAL Priority Research Theme 1” in the subject line.
The successful candidate will be appointed for an initial period of three (3) years.
Closing Date: 30 October, 2024
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Women with the required qualification and interest are encouraged to apply.
To apply for WASCAL recruitment below is what you need to be aware of.
• Verify the obtainable positions and it′s finishing date before enrolling for a particular position.
• Please make sure that all required documents requested for the enrollment into WASCAL are intact
• Abide by the contingent of every single position to apply.